Friday, January 7, 2011

Start Making Money


As my Facebook friends and coworkers are tired of hearing, I’ve been on a serious fitness kick over the past year and a half, having lost 83 pounds. But I now have a new problem, and I admit it’s a pretty good one to have: My current set of fitness apps, geared around watching calories and tracking workouts, don’t seem ready to take me to the next level.


That’s why I was pretty pumped to hear about Gain Fitness, a new workout-recommendation site from former Google and YouTube employee Nick Gammell. Currently, the site offers randomized but scientific workouts that you can customize based on your experience level and available equipment.


The fitness industry is a $120 billion-a-year business. So there’s money to be made in the margins by making it more efficient, social, and data-driven. Gain’s service is aimed at regular exercisers who already hit the gym two to five times a week, but get frustrated at their lack of progress and the time it takes to both plan and track workouts. The notion of the site’s Quick Workout is that Gain Fitness can take out the time it takes to think through and plan a workout, while using principles of exercise science to design a sensible routine. Gammell estimates this demographic includes 50- 60 million people in the United States alone.


I certainly fit in that group: I’ve taught myself a fair bit about exercise and work out with a personal trainer but don’t consider myself an expert. When I clicked through Gain’s Quick Workout generator to show a workout I could do at home, what I saw both felt familiar and in my range of capabilities, yet seemed appropriately challenging — decline pushups, bodyweight squats, planks, and so on. (Gammell’s cofounder, Sam Morrell, is a certified personal trainer, while Gammell is a former college football player.)


There’s a host of fitness apps and websites out there, from DailyBurn and LoseIt to two personal favorites, MyFitnessPal and GymGoal. But Gammell hopes to harness his quantitative background — he was a financial data analyst at Google — and today’s sophisticated social networks to take online fitness to the next level. His plans for the site include public profiles, workout sharing, and social challenges. (Another site I’ve started using recently, Social Workout, already lets people create and join challenges and share them on Facebook, but doesn’t have Gain’s workout-generating function.)


What I’d really like to see is a way to tie more of these sites together. Just as location-based services have started to cooperate on place databases and check-in data, fitness sites should be able to share food diaries, calorie expenditures, and workout plans among themselves. Gammell agrees and said he’d like to be part of that move.


Gain Fitness, formerly known as eFitPlan, has raised $80,000 from friends and family members. Google executive Ben Ling, who’s well-known inside the tech business for his brutal workout regime, is an advisor to the company.


Gammell’s not just CEO of the company, he also uses the product — and offered this before-and-after photo as proof. As I joked with him, most people would consider themselves lucky if his before was their after, but it shows there’s an opportunity for fitness apps that go beyond the basics.



And here’s a presentation Morrell and Gammell gave at the Quantified Self, a workshop for fitness-tracking aficionados:



Next Story: VentureBeat on the prowl for DEMO startups in New York, Toronto Previous Story: Projects in 2010 took aim at cleantech’s chicken-and-egg dilemma




Check out this video from Wilson on the making of NFL game footballs. (Scroll down to the bottom of the column, as my attempt to link direct to the video failed abjectly.  My link-fu is exceptionally weak.)



Y’all may have noted that compared to JC, I’m actually good at this going Galt business. School starts again on Monday, (for my 10 y.o., not me) which ought to improve my posting performance, but I thought this little bit might amuse.



Most impressive to me:  these are old fashioned skilled craft jobs on display.  Shortest work stint featured at the Ohio factory in which Wilson makes its NFL-acceptable footballs was 28 years.  And check out Emmit at 2:17.  There is a man who works hard for the money.  He’s been doing it for 35  years.  I’d give myself ten minutes, fifteen tops, before screaming “Uncle!”



I guess this is an open thread, though mostly it’s just an excuse to start with the side of a cow.



Image:  Paul Gaugin, La nuit de Noël (La bénédiction des bœufs),1894-1903.







free rental agreement forms

BMI.com | <b>News</b> | Nielsen Signs Off on Radio Ratings

Though Nielsen declined to elaborate on its decision to exit the U.S. radio-ratings business, the news came just days after the Arbitron-Clear Channel deal was announced — hardly a coincidence, suggested some media observers. ...

<b>News</b> of the World replies to new police phone-hacking inquiry <b>...</b>

After the Met police letter to News International title, an imaginary reply from the paper to the Yard.

Will an ad network work for your <b>news</b> website? Or are you just <b>...</b>

The journalism industry's traditional ethical "wall" dividing advertising and editorial has left some journalists so frightened by the idea of selling to potential advertisers that they choose not even to try launching their own news ...


No comments:

Post a Comment